• Teacher for one of the first schools for African American students. - Chapman
• "Negro schools were maintained by State and City taxes too. Their school was in Georgia. In 1891 there was a colored General Alabama Academy on lower Franklin Street. The principal of this school, A. W. McKinley, solicited the Mayor and Aldermen to recommend Huntsville as a location for a negro college. Mr. Charles H. Halsey guaranteed five acres as a donation from the North Alabama Improvement Company. The Mastin place was purchased for the location of the Negro Agricultural and Mechanical College. In 1895 the teachers at the negro school were Rev. J. F. Humphrey, principal; Gertrude McGill, Maria L. Clay, Lula B. Rankin, and Carrie P. Fackler were teachers. Normal had a primary, grammar, and high school, nursing school, manual arts, agriculture, and music. The pupils were taught that self respect was the basis of all progress.
Mr. Council wanted his pupils to develop as negroes. He was very strict about honesty, cleanliness, thoroughness, and ambition to progress. He had the ability to put his ideas into practice. His graduates were successful and his school grew." - Chapman
• A footnote reads "It must be remembered that Negroes had the same family names as their old masters. The Weekly Mercury, December 4, 1895." - ChapmanRelated Links:
• Chapman - Changing Huntsville 1890-1899, by Elizabeth Humes Chapman, Republished in 1989, p. 150.
The Following Pages Link to this Page: