Known for Her Civil War Journal
• Kept the only known diary chronicling the Union Army's occupation of Huntsville from 1862-65.
• "Chadick chronicled what happened to Huntsville as Union forces occupied the city from April 1862 through 1865." - Huntsville Times
• "Incidents of the War: The Civil War Journal of Mary Jane Chadick, edited and annotated by Nancy M. Rohr, was published in 2005. This is a daily account written during the occupation by Federal troops of Huntsville, Alabama. 379 pages, fold-out map of north Alabama, photographs and illustrations." - Huntsville-Madison County Historical SocietyRelated Links:
• Flickr: - Maple Hill Cemetery Stroll photo by oldsouthvideo, October 20, 2009
• Glimpses of Old Huntsville - Heroines: Mary Jane Chadick by Nancy Rohr is one of several audio stories available on this page.
• Huntsville Times - Article by Victoria Cumbow, April 11, 2011
• Huntsville-Madison County Historical Society - Civil War Journal available in book form.
• The Authentic Campaigner - an retelling of a joke Mary Jane played (Originally found at http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-16833.html.)
• WorldCat - Published Diary
The Following Pages Link to this Page:
• Glimpses of Old Huntsville
• Susan Elizabeth Chadick Fordyce
• William Davidson Chadick