News Paper Editor and Register in the United States Land Office
|Born:||May 17, 1849, Athens, AL|
|Died:||June 10, 1909, Montgomery, AL|
• "Son of Judge Daniel and Elizabeth Lockhart (Peterson) Coleman, of Athens, the former justice of the supreme court of Alabama; grandson of Col. Daniel Coleman and wife, a Miss Cocke, of Caroline County, Va., the former an officer in the Virginia line, Revolutionary Army, and a member of the house of burgesses, and of Batt and Sarah Peterson, of North Carolina." - Alabama Biography
• "He was educated in the Athens academy, and while attending the Southern University, ran away and joined the Confederate forces. After the War of Secession, he entered Washington and Lee University, and graduated in 1870." - Alabama Biography
• "In 1861, he joined Gen. N. B. Forrest's mounted command, and knowing the country of North Alabama well, he acted as guide and assisted Forrest in overtaking Streight, and forcing his surrender before reaching Rome, Ga. He was captured and carried to Athens, where he was tried as a spy and condemned to death by Federal court martial; he escaped, returned to Forrest, and served to the close of the war." - Alabama Biography
• "He studied law under Gen. Luke Pryor, was admitted to the practice, but entered journalism. He served on the staff of 'The Nashville Banner,' 'The American,' of Nashville, and later, was editor of the 'Huntsville Independent.' Years later, he became register in the U. S. land office, at Huntsville and went with the office to Montgomery, when it was removed to that place, and served in that capacity until his death." - Alabama Biography
• He was a Democrat and a Methodist. - Alabama Biography
• Unmarried - Alabama BiographyRelated Links:
• Alabama Biography - History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, Volume 3, by Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen, © 1921, pp. 374-5. Frank's father, Daniel Coleman, Sr. also has a bio here. His father was a lawyer, judge, educator, and civic leader in Athens, AL. The family genealogy is furthered detailed in his father's bio.
• Alabama Biography for his father - History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, Volume 3, by Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen, © 1921, p. 373. Extra information on his linage in his father's bio.
The Following Pages Link to this Page:
• Alabama Biography
• Alabama Biography for his father
• Daniel Coleman (b1838)