|Born:||September 19, 1833, Alabama|
|Died:||November 18, 1870, Madison County, AL|
|Buried:||Maple Hill Cemetery, Huntsville, AL|
• "Married to Harriett (Hattie) Morton Gooch (1835-1913). Her Brother, John Claiborne (Big Jack) Gooch, stopped at her home to recover from an illness as he was passing through after his release from the Cavalry. The night after he stopped he took violently ill with pneumonia and died before his wife was able to come to be with him. He is buried on the Acklen family plot in Huntsville's Maple Hill Cemetery." - United Daughters of the Confederacy
• Married on Mar 21, 1856 in Somerville, AL
• Harriet, his wife was born 1835 in Tennessee, and died Dec. 3, 1913 in Huntsville. She is buried in Maple Hill Cemetery
• Private in the CSA, 4th Ala. Inf., Co. I
• Great grandson of Capt. John Hunt, "founder" of Huntsville.
• Harriet Morton Gooch Ackland (wife) died December 1913
• Married at Summerville, Morgan County , July 21, 1856
• Son of William Hunt Acklin and Louisa (King) Acklin (notice a different spelling of the last name)
• Multiple spellings of his name include Acklen, Acklin, Ackland
• He received his early education at Huntsville and was graduated from the law school of the University of Alabama, after which he practiced law in Huntsville. He continued his practice in Huntsville until his death. - Alabama Biography
• Democrat and Presbyterian. - Alabama Biography
• Father of:
1. Louisa King Acklin Born May 8, 1857 in Madison Co., Alabama; died April 8, 1929; married John Dudley Ragland, Huntsville; child, Theodore Acklin Ragland
2.Lizzie Acklin Born 1859 in Alabama; Death Jun 14, 1911, Huntsville, AL: married Charles H. Halsey Sept. 5, 1876, Huntsville. Children: Corrine Halsey b: 1877 in Huntsville Madison Co., Alabama; Lizzie Halsey b: 1879 in Huntsville Madison Co., Alabama; Jean Halsey b: 1893 in Huntsville Madison Co., Alabama.
3. Kate Acklin Born Jul 1863 in Alabama; Death Mar 26, 1928, Huntsville, AL; Married Charles H Halsey, Nov. 30, 1912 (after her sister Lizzie died ((also married to Charles Halsey)) June 14, 1911), Madison Co., Alabama; no children.
3. Corrine Acklin Born 1867 in Alabama; Married W. C. Green Oct. 13, 1881, Madison Co., AL.
4. Hattie Acklin Born Sep 1869 in Alabama; Died Aug 12, 1958, Madison Co., Alabama; Married J. W. Tyler, Oct 18, 1892, Madison Co., AL
5. Theodore H. Acklin Born 1870 in Alabama; - RootsWebRelated Links:
• Alabama Biography - History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, Volume 3, by Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen, © 1921, p. 7.
• Detour Through History - Official appointment of Willliam Acklin to administer his son's estate. Copy of the original document from Madison Co., Records Center.
• Find A Grave - Created by Graveaddiction
• RootsWeb - Geneographic information (under Theodore Acklin) collected by Catherine
• United Daughters of the Confederacy - United Daughters of the Confederacy by Turner Publishing Company, 1999, Page 95
The Following Pages Link to this Page:
• Alabama Biography
• William Hunt Acklen