|Born:||August 31, 1875, New Hope, Madison County, AL|
|Died:||Jan 22, 1952, Huntsville, AL|
|Buried:||Bethel Cemetery, New Hope, Madison County, AL|
|Residence:||300 Williams Avenue SE|| - William bought the house after the Civil War from George P. Bierne and sold it to decendents of Bibb (original owners) after 1927 when the Hutchens family bought it. (Twickenham House Notes)|
• Son of James Edward and Nannie Jane (Nichols) Butler. - Alabama Biography
• "He received his education in the Poplar Ridge School of New Hope, and was graduated May, 1895, from the Winchester Normal school at Winchester, Tenn." - Alabama Biography
• "In August of 1895 he became clerk and bookkeeper for J. E. Butler and later acquired an interest in the business." - Alabama Biography
• "Mr. Butler was elected to the state senate in 1918 and served in the regular session of 1919 and the extra session of 1920." - Alabama Biography
• "A member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and has been Sunday school superintendent, steward and trustee." - Alabama Biography
• "Married: June 16, 1909, at Stevenson, to Lillian Louise Mussetter, daughter of George Stuart and Florence Luvernia who lived at Stevenson; granddaughter of William P. Havesty, a Methodist minister of Elizabeth, West Virginia, whose grandfather served throughout the Revolutionary war under Lafayette." - Alabama Biography
• Father of:
1. Evelyn Louise, b. May 29, 1910, New Hope
2. Nannie Florence, b. September 15, 1911, New Hope
3. William Edward, Jr., b. May 14, 1913, New Hope
4. George Stuart, b. February 5, 1918, New Hope
5. James Canada, b. January 21, 1918, New Hope
6. Charles Leavitt, b. September 5, 1920, Huntsville. - Alabama BiographyRelated Links:
• Alabama Biography - History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, Volume 4, by Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen, © 1921, p. 1836.
• Find A Grave - Page created by Jason Preseley and posted on March 27, 2004.
• Twickenham House Notes - Margaret Bell Chase gave Nancy Rohr these notes. They are not dated but the content suggests they were written before the year 2000.
The Following Pages Link to this Page:
• 300 Williams Avenue SE
• Alabama Biography