Wife of Governor Clay
|Born:||Born July 23, 1798, Locust Grove, Dinwiddie, Virginia|
|Died:||Jan 2, 1866, Huntsville, AL|
|Buried:||Maple Hill Cemetery, Huntsville, AL|
• Mother of:
1. Clement Claiborne
2. John Withers
3. Hugh Lawson, d., lawyer, b. January 24, 1823, captain in the Mexican war, member of the staff of Gen. E. Kirby Smith, and colonel, C. S. Army, m. Celeste Comer - Alabama Biography
• Married: April 4, 1815, Madison County, AL, Clement Comer Clay - Ancestry.com
• Daughter of John Wright Withers (1776-1848) and Mary Herbert Jones (1777 - 1848). Both originally from Virginia. They were married in 1795 in Virginia and moved to Madison County, Alabama between 1800 and 1810. - If the Legends Are True
• Sister of Gen Jones Mitchell Withers and eight more siblings. - If the Legends Are TrueRelated Links:
• Alabama Biography - History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, Volume 3, by Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen, © 1921, pp 342-3.
• Ancestry.com - Page owned by Robert F. Hale, Jr. and requires Ancestry.com membership to view. (Originally found at http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/2573165/person/-1643687226.)
• Clay Family - The Clay Family, Part One: The Mother of Henry Clay, by Hon. Zachariah Frederick Smith, Mary Katharine Rogers Clay, © 1899, Page 91. Genealogical Information.
• Duke University Libraries - C.C. Clay papers, 1811-1925 (Four boxes connected to Susanna and available only at the library.) (Originally found at http://search.library.duke.edu/search?Ntt=%22Clay,%20Susanna%20Claiborne%20Withers,%201798-1866.%22&Ntk=Subject&output-format=search.)
• Find a Grave - Created by Jason Presley, Feburary 24, 2004.
• If the Legends Are True - Genealogical information
The Following Pages Link to this Page:
• Alabama Biography
• Clement Claiborne Clay
• Clement Comer Clay
• Hugh Lawson Clay
• John Withers Clay