Owned Lumber Company, and Civic Leader
|Born:||May 24, 1888, Madison County, AL|
|Died:||January 29, 1974, Huntsville, Alabama|
|Buried:||Maple Hill Cemetery, Huntsville, Alabama|
• Son of Preston Yeatman Geron (1848-1917) and Martha Jane "Mattie" Hereford (1853-1930). - Ancestry.com 2
• On his Draft Registration, he said he was single, with a dependent mother. For his occupation he listed Cotton Grader & Warehouse(ending unclear) for Dallas Manufacturing Co. His address was 234 Walker. (This house number may differ from the current number of the house.) - World War I Draft Registration Card
• GERON LUMBER COMPANY
The Geron Lumber Company at 601 Meridian Street has been known since 1928 as a dependable source of all sorts of lumber and building material.
The company was started by R. P. Geron, a native Huntsvillian. He is still the present owner, and employs five people as his personnel.
Throughout the years Mr. Geron has maintained a high standard of quality in his material and has endeavored to live up to the slogan, "Dependable Service."
Mrs. Geron's name is Alice. She and Mr. Geron have two children, Mrs. William Shea III (Ruth) of Memphis, Tennessee, and 1st Lieut. R. P. Geron, Jr., USAF.
In addition to his work this lumber dealer has taken an active part in civic life. He is the past president of the Kiwanis Club, past president of the YMCA, was chairman of the Board of Stewards at the First Methodist Church, and is a member of the Zamora Shrine Temple. - Sesquicentennial
• "Buy-out" of Webster Lumber Company, 1927. - Record
• "President, YMCA, 1944-1951; President of the Kiwanis Club, inaugurated policy of giving New Testament to World War II Draftees; Director, National Lumber and Building Material Association; Vice President, Alabama Lumber and Building Association; Chairman, Madison County Federal Housing Administration." - Record
• "Elks Lodge 1648 also bought its present site on Franklin Street from W.P. Dilworth, R.P. Geron, A.L. Hipp, and Claude Pipes. A Lodge building was constructed by W.B. Snipes Construction Company. The author was treasurer of the building fund." - Record
• Active in Huntsville's First Methodist church. - Ford & Van Valkenburgh
• Active in Central Young Men's Christian Association. President (1941) Kiwanis. - Sesquicentennial
• 614 Franklin Street: "It was then bought by Mr. and Mrs. R. P. Geron in 1938. The Gerons not only restored the grounds to their original beauty which included the construction of the sunken garden, but also decorated the house in keeping with its period. A covered terrace, breakfast room, baths, and heating plant were added, thus making the home a comfortable, modern residence." - AAUW
• Father of Richard Preston Geron (1929-2010). - Find A Grave
• Father of Ruth Hairston Geron (1925-2003) and Richard Preston "Dick" Geron (1928-). - Ancestry.com 1Related Links:
• AAUW - Glimpses Into Antebellum Homes of Historic Huntsville, Alabama, Ninth Edition, by American Association of University Women, Huntsville Branch, Huntsville, Alabama, 1999, page 32.
• Ancestry.com 1 - Page owned by dmetz123 and can be viewed only with an Ancestry.com paid subscription. (Originally found at http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/21183194/person/1042444775.)
• Ancestry.com 2 - Page owned by ssshearin and can be viewed only with an Ancestry.com paid subscription. (Originally found at http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/14598639/person/131568596.)
• Find A Grave - Page created by Franklin
• Ford & Van Valkenburgh - A History of The First United Methodist Church of Huntsville, Alabama 1808-1983, by Ruth Sykes Ford and updated by Nancy Wilkinson Van Valkenburgh, 1984, page 122.
• Genealogy.com - Gregory Smith Family History
• Record - A Dream Come True: The Story of Madison County and Incidentally of Alabama and the United States, Volume II, by James Record, 1978, pages 206, 674.
• Sesquicentennial - Commemorative Album, Celebrating our City's Sesquicentennial of Progress, Huntsville, Alabama, by James E. Taylor, General Chairman, 1955, pages 109, 194, 297, 339.
• World War I Draft Registration Card - Paged viewed through an Ancestry.com paid subscription. (Originally found at http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=WW1draft&h=21178830&indiv=try&o_vc=Record:OtherRecord&ssrc=pt_t14598639_p131568596_kpidz0q3d131568596z0q26pgz0q3d32768z0q26pgplz0q3dpid&tid=14598639&tpid=131568596&rhSource=3693.)
The Following Pages Link to this Page:
• 614 Franklin Street SE
• Alice E. Hairston Geron
• Gayle Figures Geron (b1884)
• Martha Jane Hereford Geron
• Richard Preston Geron (b1888)