|Born:||January 9, 1832, Alabama|
|Died:||March 6, 1917, Huntsville, Alabama|
|Buried:||Maple Hill Cemetery, Huntsville, Alabama|
• FEARN, MARIA ELIZA (GARTH) (1832-1917), the fifth daughter of Dr. Thomas Fearn and Sallie Bledsoe Shelby, was educated at Madame De Falk's school in Mobile. Returning to Huntsville she married William Willis Garth in 1855. They had one son and resided at 517 Franklin Street. - Steele
• Maria Eliza Fearn, daughter of Dr. Thomas and Sarah Bledsoe (Shelby) Fearn - Armstrong & French
• Married Col. William W. Garth on June 25, 1855. - Armstrong & French
• Col. William W. Garth, of Huntsville Alabama, served on the staff of Gen. Longstreet during the War Between the States. He pursued classical studies at Lagrange and at Emory and Henry College, then studied law at the University of Virginia. Commenced practice at Huntsville. Elected a representative in Congress in 1888, and served one term as a Democrat. - Armstrong & French
• Mother of:
Winston Fearn Garth (1856 - 1932) Married Lena Garth around 1883
William Willis Garth (1884 - 1961) Married Mary Louise Dodsworth on Oct. 18, 1906 in Madison Co., AL
(note: Husband and son both named William Willis Garth) - Find A Grave
• She had a grand-daughter named Maria Fearn Garth born in 1890. Her grand-daughter married Francis Marion Inge and became known as Maria Fearn Garth Inge. - Ecitor's Note
• In Dr. Fearn's will, he stipulated "that the house and furniture, along with the slaves (he had 82 at one time) would, after three years, be liquidated and divided equally among the seven daughters. Exactly three years after her father's death, Maria Fearn Garth bought at public auction, from her father's estate, the house on Franklin Street for ten thousand and one hundred dollars. The house remained in the Garth family until 1964." - KingRelated Links:
• Ancestry.com - Paged owned by MargaretFrancis86 and can be viewed only with an ancestry.com paid subscription. (Originally found at http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/16690020/person/20475675135.)
• Armstrong & French - Notable Southern Families, Volume 2 by Zella Armstrong, Janie Presto Collup French, 1922, page 328.
• Find A Grave - Page created by Tombstone Shadow.
• King - Article titled "Thomas Fearn, The Man" by Mrs. Olin B. King, Huntsville Historical Review, Volume 10, #1 & #2, Jan-80, Huntsville-Madison County Historical Society, pages 8, 9.
• Steele - Cease Not To Think of Me: The Steele Family Letters, by Edited by Patricia H. Ryan, 1979, pages 3, 10, 34, 64, 65, 83, 89, 97, 98, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 106, 121, 159, 170, 171.
The Following Pages Link to this Page:
• Col. William Willis Garth (1826)
• Dr. Thomas Fearn
• Winston Fearn Garth