|Born:||January 17, 1827, Huntsville, AL|
|Died:||March 24, 1903, Huntsville, AL|
|Buried:||Maple Hill Cemetery|
• Uncle of Albert Russel Erskine (b. 1871) - Goldsmith & Fulton
• Married Maria Dance Mattews (Nov. 29, 1835-Oct.1, 1920) on October 5, 1854. Mrs. Erskine's parents were natives of Campbell County, Virginia, and after moving to Huntsville became one of the largest planters in Madison County. - Goldsmith & Fulton
• Father of:
Alexander Russel Erskine, 1858 - 1938
Luke Matthew Erskine, 1866 - 1946
Janet was listed in Goldsmith & Fulton as a third child, but she was not listed in Ancesty.com. The Maple Hill Cemetery book has a Mary Janet Erskine (1873-1959) buried in the family plot. - Goldsmith & Fulton, Ancestry.com, and Maple Hill Cemetery
• Has a CSA marker on his grave. - Maple Hill Cemetery
• Son of Dr. Alexander Erskine (1791-1857) and Susan Catherine Russel (1805-1892) both born in Virginia. "Dr. Alexander (b. 1791) was a descendant of the Rev. Ebenezer Erskine of Scotland, who was born in 1680 and was founder of the Secession Church." - Goldsmith & Fulton
Huntsville, preparatory education
Georgetown College, Washington D.C.
West Point Academy, resigned after two years because he was more interested in medical training.
University of Virginia.
University of Pennsylvania, Doctor of Medicine degree in 1851. - Goldsmith & Fulton
• He and his brother, John and Alexander went through the war as surgeons in the Confederate army. - Speer
• Russel is sometimes spelled Russell (with two l's) - Editor's Note
• Began is practice in Huntsville in 1851 - Alabama Biography
• "In 1862 he entered the Confederate Army, and was assigned to the 5th Tennessee regular infantry as surgeon. Eight months later he became Gen. Pat Claiborne's medical inspector. Several months later he was assigned to the 45th Alabama infantry regiment as surgeon; was later assigned to Convalescent Camp Wright, and finally to Marion hospital." - Alabama Biography
• "He was for three years president of Madison County medical society; for several years a member of the American Board of Health Association; member of county board of health and secretary county board of censors many years." - Alabama Biography
• He was a Presbyterian; and a Mason. - Alabama Biography
• "Dr. Erskine was considered one of Madison County's foremost physicians for many years. He was held in high esteem and won a great deal of affection from people throughout the county." - Goldsmith & Fulton
• "Dr. Erskine suffered from rheumatism and cancer for several years." - Goldsmith & FultonRelated Links:
• Alabama Biography - History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, Volume 3, by Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen, © 1921, pp. 543-4.
• Ancestry.com - Genealogical and biographical information by Snodgrass Clan Society 01. (Behind Ancestry.com's membership fee wall.) (Originally found at http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/9549386/person/-782408317.)
• Byers - Albert Russel Erskine, by David Byers, from Huntsville Historical Review, Volume 24, #2, Jul 97, pages 11-20. The article is about his nephew, but important shared genealogical information can be found here.
• Goldsmith & Fulton - Medicine Bags and Bumpy Roads, by Jewell Shelton Goldsmith and Helen Davis Fulton, © 1985, pp. 133-4.
• Maple Hill Cemetery - Maple Hill Cemetery, Phase One, by Robey, Johnson, Jones, and Roberts, © 1995, p. 55. Genealogical information
• Speer - Sketches of Prominent Tennesseans: Containing Biographies and Records, by William S. Speer, ©: 1888, pp. 153-5. He is mentioned in his brother's bio (Dr. Alexander Erskine (1832)) and their common ancestry is enlarged upon.
• UVa - University of Virginia, Its History, Influence, Equipment and Characteristics with Biographical Sketches and Portraits of Founders, Benefactors, Officers and Alumni, Volume II, © 1904, p. 198. This is a bio for his brother but there is information about their shared genealogy.
The Following Pages Link to this Page:
• 527 Franklin Street SE
• Alabama Biography
• Albert Russel Erskine (b1871)
• Dr. Alexander Erskine (b1791)
• Maple Hill Cemetery
• Susan Catharine Russel Erskine