|Born:||November 22, 1802, Tazewell, TN|
|Died:||May 11, 1872, Madison City|
|Buried:||Maple Hill Cemetery, Huntsville, AL|
The Following Pages Link to this Page:
• "William Acklen was graduated at Greenville College, Tenn.; read law under Ebenezer Titus in Huntsville, and was admitted to the bar in 1823. He was law partner at different times to Caswell R. Clifton, afterwards a circuit court judge in Mississippi, Joseph Acklen, and Smith D. Hale. He represented Madison in the house in 1826, and was four times returned; was elected solicitor in 1832 and held this position for twelve years; defeated Hon. William Fleming for state senator in 1853 and served four years." - Alabama Biography
• Brother of:
1. John R. H. Acklin Born Jan23, 1800; Died June 14, 1846, Madison City, AL
2. Christiana B. Acklin Born Abt. 1806
3. Sarah Vance Acklin Born Abt. 1810; married McGee; died in Texas.
4. Elizabeth G. Acklin Born: 1813
5. Joseph A.S. Acklin Born July 6, 1816 in Huntsville, Madison Co., Alabama
6. Christopher Black Acklin Born Abt. 1818; moved to Texas
7. Palmyra Jane Acklin Born Nov, 1822; married Coleman; Died April 1860
8. Arthur A. Acklin Born in Alabama
9. There may have been a second John here. - Various sources
• Married: Louisa King daughter of Edmund King of Shelby.
• Lived in a house on the South West corner Gates & Madison Streets. The house is no longer there. - OldHuntsville.com
• His son, Pvt William King Acklen, was killed at the Battle of Gaines Mill.
• "He was a hale and stout man, though disabled for some years by an accident. Physically he was well constituted, with an intellectual head, and cheerful expression. As a solicitor, he was very efficient, and as a man was honorable and energetic." - Brewer's Alabama History
• He came with his family to Madison County with his family when he was about six years old. - Alabama Biography
• He was law partner at different times to Caswell R. Clifton, afterwards a circuit court judge in Mississippi, Joseph Acklen, and Smith D. Hale. - Alabama Biography
• Alabama Biography - History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, Volume 3, by Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen, © 1921, p.8
• Brewer's Alabama History - Alabama, Her History, Resources, War Record, and Public Men: from 1540 to 1872 , by Willis Brewer, © 1872, pp. 363-4
• OldHuntsville.com - County and City Records,1860
• OpenLibrary.org - The code of ordinances of the city of Huntsville, by William Acklen, 1861
• RootsWeb - Geneological information collected by Catherine
• Supreme Court - Reports of cases argued and determined in the Supreme Court, Acklen's Executor v. Hickman, Volume 63 - 494.
• Elizabeth Hunt Acklen
• John R. H. Acklen
• Joseph Alexander Smith Acklen
• Samuel Black Acklen
• Theodore Acklen
• William King Acklen