Person:William Bibb Dennett
William Bibb Dennett
|Born:||November 12, 1829, Huntsville, AL|
|Died:||May 26, 1919, Los Angeles, CA|
• "He attended private schools and later the Huntsville Academy. In January, 1842, he entered upon an apprenticeship with the 'Huntsville Advocate' which lasted five years." - Alabama Biography
• "He joined Co. H, 3rd Alabama infantry regiment, for service in the Mexican War and was with the troops from April, 1847, to July, 1848, when hostilities ceased and the company was disbanded. He held the rank of Sergeant in the Mexican Service, was Lieutenant in Lopez' Army which invaded Cuba in 1850, and was promoted Captain in 1851. He entered the Confederate Army as Captain and was promoted lieutenant-colonel of the 24th Alabama Infantry Regiment. Owing to the scarcity of printers and the pressing need of them in relation to public work, he resigned his commission in the army and located at Mobile where he practiced his trade. In 1868, in company with other colonists, he migrated to Fresno County, Calif., where for twelve years he engaged in farming. Later he was appointed Deputy County Assessor, and later still was elected city clerk and assessor, holding that position for eight years. He was made secretary of the chamber of commerce of Fresno and served that organization seven years. He entered the Soldier's Home, near Los Angeles, for a while and was also a member of the I. T. Union, located at Colorado Springs, and divided his time between the two homes. He later resigned both connections and retired on a pension at the age of eighty-seven." - Alabama Biography
• He was a Mason - Alabama Biography
• Married: January 3, 1861, at Mobile, AL, Caroline Matilda, daughter of Judge Gustaves Horton and wife, who was a Miss Sargent of Mobile. - Alabama Biography
• - Son of William Briston Dennett (1801, Virginia - Sept. 18, 1859, Madison Co., AL) and Amanda Nowlin Bibb Dennett (born July 22, 1809 in Davidson Co. TN and died Dec. 7, 1849 in Huntsville AL)
- Brother of James Dennett
- Grandson of William Bibb (June 13, 1783 Amherst Co., Virginia - May 31, 1834, Huntsville, AL) not Gov. William Wyatt Bibb - Ancestry.com
• His mother had two sets of children. She married William Briston Dennett (William's father) on Oct. 2, 1828 and he died September 18, 1839. She had two children from that marriage (William and James). Then she married John J. Coleman on June 6, 1841. From that marriage she had two children, John Williams Walker Coleman and Amanda Narcissa Craves Coleman. - Roots Web
• Son of William Briston and Amanda Nowlin (Bibb) Dennett, the former a native of Virginia, who located in Huntsville in 1827 - Ancestry.com
• Alabama Biography - History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, Volume 3 by Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen, © 1921, p. 479.
• Ancestry.com - Page owned by palmsrv and requires Ancestry.com membership to view.
• History Sites - Details the activities of the 3rd Alabama Infantry regiment.
• Roots Web - Genealogical Information posted by palmsrv (Catherine)