Person:Schuyler Harris Floyd
Schuyler Harris Floyd
|Born:||October 8, 1873, Alabama|
|Died:||January 25, 1942, Camilla, Mitchell County, Georgia|
|Buried:||Oakview Cemetery, Camilla, Mitchell So., Georgia|
|Son of:||Capt. John Buchanan Floyd||- Son of John B Floyd and Fannie H. Floyd|
• He was a member of Huntsville Rifles, "an organization of young men who drilled regularly once a week and acted as a civic body on occasion." In 1898 they turned to more serious business. He was as a Lieutenant to fight in the war against Spain. They were Company "F" of the Third Alabama Regiment of National Guards. - Chapman
• This is the account of the Huntsville Rifles Group joining the Spanish-American War. It differs from Chapman's account in some respects (Chapman lists S. Floyd as a Lieutenant and Record lists him as a Private). Because it is difficult to sort the details, we will include both accounts: "The local Alabama State Troop group at Huntsville also went into service. The company had formerly been known as the Huntsville Rifles, Company K, until it disbanded in 1897 to re-form as the Monte Sano Light Guards, Company K. Second Regiment, with R. M. Fletcher, Jr. as Captain and Tom Hooper as First Sergeant. In 1898 the company became Company F and was transferred to the Third Regiment. Fletcher later resigned and Robert L. Hay was elected Captain. The group went to Camp Clark near Mobile where Hay resigned and Humes C. Laughlin assumed command. The command died not see battle action, however, but Private Schuyler H. Floyd died from fever. - Combined Record and Chapman
Mitylene "Mattie" Sherrod (1870-1910) Mar 17, 1900 in Birmingham, AL
Children (all born in Huntsville):
Sherrod Floyd 1901 - 1972
Mary Elizabeth Floyd 1904 - 1993
Mitylene Davis Floyd 1906 - 1996
Louheath McNair (1886-1947) Dec. 24, 1912 Camilla, Mitchel Co., GA
Children (both born in Camilla, Mitchell Co., GA
Schuyler Harris Floyd, Jr. 1913 - 1935
Elmore McNair Floyd 1921 - 1974 - Ancestry.com & LeCompte
• We are aware of some potentially conflicting information included here. We welcome supporting or refuting data. - Editor's note
• Ancestry.com - Paged owned by pmaconpmacon and can be viewed only with an Ancestry.com paid subscription.
• Chapman - Changing Huntsville, 1890-1899 by Elizabeth Humes Chapman, Republished by the Historic Huntsville Foundation, Inc. in 1989, page 122.
• Find A Grave - Page created by David Woody
• LeCompte - A family website by Kirkwood Adams LeCompte in Genealogy.com (No. 43)
• Rankin File - John P. Rankin has, over the years, collected information about families living in Madison County, AL. He has made these files available here at Huntsville History Collection. The files include Rankin's notes, photos, digital copies of documents, and clippings from newspapers and periodicals. He has a Floyd family file and some of it might apply to Florence Moore Floyd.
• Record - A Dream Come True: The Story of Madison County and Incidentally of Alabama and the United States, Volume II, by James Record, 1978, page 95.
• WWI Draft Registration Card - Available through Ancestry.com (paid subscription required for viewing)
The Following Pages Link to this Page:
• Capt. John Buchanan Floyd