Person:Samuel Cowan Gillespie
Samuel Cowan Gillespie
|Born:||November 22, 1850, Tennessee|
|Died:||May 23, 1936, Madison County, Alabama|
|Buried:||Madison Cemetery, Madison, Alabama|
|Son of:||Campbell Milton Gillespie|
|Father of:||George Sharp Gillespie|
|Brother of:||Nancy Hesseltine Gillespie Farley|
• "Samuel Cowan Gillespie (1851-1936) was one of five sons born to Campbell and Lorinda Gillespie. He married Eliza Jane Morrow (1859-1920) on August 19, 1875. Eliza was the daughter of James Morrow (1827-1863) and Nancy McCurley Morrow (1827-1867). In Feb. of 1863, as a Confederate soldier, James was wounded and captured by Union troops. He was taken to a prison hospital in Paducah, Kentucky where he died in April. Eliza turned four years old on July 19 of that same year.
Samuel and Eliza had thirteen children. James Milton (1876-1880), John Cowan (1877-1880), Samuel Edgar (1878-1956), Clark Patton (1881-1960), Campbell Houston (1883-1975), Ethel Jane (1885-1981), Mary Helen (1886 -1980), George Sharp (1888-1981), Robert (1890-1890), Nancy Edlena (1891-1973), William Morrow (1893-1961), Narcissa Belle (1896-1984) and Alva Rachford (1899-?).
In Dec. of 1899, and in March of 1900, Samuel purchased farmland on the north side of Gillespie Road (a dirt road at the time) between Wall-Triana Highway and Balch Road from Mary Crutcher Dupree and Jery Dupree, and from Joshua Beadle. Here he built a large, two-story home and continued his life-long vocation as a farmer. Eliza Jane died on March 4, 1920, and Samuel followed in 1936. They are buried next to each other in the Gillespie family plot in the Madison Cemetery." - Heritage: Hailey
• Ancestry.com - Page owned by ebarks6258 and can be viewed only with an Ancestry.com paid subscription.
• Find A Grave - Page created by Susan Bennett.
• Heritage: Hailey - Article titled "The Gillespie - Hailey Family" by Mrs. Gene Hailey for The Heritage of Madison County, Alabama, by The Madison County Heritage Book Committee, John P. Rankin, Chairman, page 203.
The Following Pages Link to this Page:
• Campbell Milton Gillespie
• George Sharp Gillespie
• Nancy Hesseltine Gillespie Farley