|Born:||April 22, 1782, Aughnacloy, County of Tyrone, Ireland|
|Died:||May 3, 1843, Hazel Green, AL|
• "He was married December 21, 1806 to Silence (Sarah, Sally) Wheeler Leavitt (1789-1837, daughter of John Wheeler Leavitt and Silence (Fitch) Leavitt, by Rev. Thomas G. Jones in Warren, Trumbull County, Ohio. Sarah was born August 7, 1789 in Suffield, Hartford County, Connecticut... Sarah died November 5, 1866 in Hurricane Valley, Alabama." - Heritage
• They had twelve children. Three were born before they moved to Madison County, AL between 1812 and 1814 - Heritage
• "In 1815, record shows that Robert was paying taxes in Madison County. He had some land and was involved in farming, according to the 1840 Census Report. Robert was also the postmaster of the Hazel Green area from 1819 to 1824, and 1830 to 1842." - Heritage
• For communities in early rural Madison County, being Post Master seemed to have positioned people as hubs of influence. - Editor's Notes
• Son of Alexander Erwin (1740-1816) and Mary Holmes (1754-1837). Ancestry.com lists 14 children in that family. - Ancestry.com
• "When Alabama became a state the survey for the land began at the store of Robert Erwin in Hazel Green, Alabama." - Ancestry.com
• "Certificate of Purchase, June 17, 1814, Track book, page 9, No. 925, US to Robert Erwin. The records in the Probate Office of Madison County, Alabama, show the above described certificate issued by the Government Land Office for land in said county (Madison) to wit: Northeast Quarter, Section 25, Township 1 South, Range 1 West, 1959.41 acres. Robert owned 170 acres+ at the time of his death." - Ancestry.com
John Erwin (1774 - 1807)
William Erwin (1775 - 1813)
Martha Erwin (1776 - 1845)
Eliza Erwin(1778 - 1778)
Alexander Jr. Erwin(1779 - 1847)
Mary Erwin(1781 - 1860)
Elizabeth Erwin(1784 - 1822)
Arabella Erwin (1786 - 1862)
James Erwin (1788 - 1861)
Sara Erwin (1789 - )
George Erwin (1794 - 1824)
Jane Erwin (1795 - 1854)
Hugh Erwin (1796 - )
Alinda Erwin (1800 - ) - Ancestry.com
• Father of:
1. Mary Holmes Erwin (Feb. 4, 1808, Warren, Ohio - June 15, 1841, Marengo, Alabama). Married (1) Alex W. Cotton (2) Walter (Waller) Ford. with three children (Sarah Ann, Robert W., Waller, Jr.
2. John Leavitt Erwin (July 19, 1810, Smithland, Kentucky - Sept. 28, 1811, Smithland, Kentucky)
3. Sarah Leavitt Erwin (Two dates offered for birth date: Heritage says Feb. 3, 1812 and Genealogy.com says Feb. 13, 1812, in Smithland, Kentucky - Two dates found for date of death: Heritage and Genealogy.com say April 2, 1852 and Ancestry.com says April 2, 1866. Both sources give place of death as Lincoln County, Tennessee). Married Rev. Albert G. Gibson in Madison County, AL November 20, 1828 and they had a child named Albert G., Jr.
4. Alexander Kirkman Sandy Erwin (Nov. 30, 1814, Hazel Green, Alabama - June 5, 1896, in Eolian or East Olion, Texas) Married Jane (Davis) Clunn and they had two children (Sarah A. and Cynthia Elizabeth)
5. Cynthia Abiah Erwin (Nov. 22, 1816, Hazel Green, Alabama - Feb. 4, 1894, Palestine, Texas). Married George Washington Allen.
6. Robert Erwin, Jr. (June 19, 1818, Hazel Green, Alabama - 1894, Bedford County, Tennessee)
7. Martha Jane Erwin (Jan. 31, 1821, Hazel Green, Alabama - July, 1896, New Market, Alabama). She married William Brown Jones.
8. James Jackson Erwin (April 4, 1823, Hazel Green, Alabama - two conflicting account of his date and place of death: Ancestry.com says 1901, Huntsville, Alabama and Heritage says 1887, Texas). Married Margaret June Ghormley and they had nine children.
9. Hugh L Erwin (Nov 4, 1825, Hazel Green, Alabama - 1864, Capo, Texas)
10. Arabella Erwin (March 1, 1828, Hazel Green, Alabama - two death dates are give: Heritage says Aug. 12, 1913 and Rosebud says June 6, 1914). Married James R. Nance and they had two children(Erwin Leavitt Nance and Arthur Holmes Sr. Nance.)
11. Humphrey L. Erwin (March 6, 1831, Hazel Green, Alabama - July 12, 1918, Madison County, Alabama). Married Caroline E. Collum.
12. John Henry (October 19, 1824- January 21, 1901, Franklin County, Tennessee). Married Elizabeth Ann "Lizzie" (maiden name unknown) and they had a child named Mary E. M. Erwin. - Combined three sources
• He died of Pneumonia - Rosebush
• Ancestry.com - Genealogical information collected and posted by calimemaw at ancestry.com (behind membership fee wall).
• Genealogy.com - Genealogy with a link to extra information about his parents.
• Heritage - The Heritage of Madison County, AL by Madison County Heritage Book Committee, submitted by Jo Ann Clark printed in 1998, p. 180.
• Immigration Ship - Photo from "Irish Genealogy Toolkit"
• Rosebush - Rosebush Family Tree Genealogy.