Person:Robert Coman Brickell, Jr.
Robert Coman Brickell, Jr.
From the Alabama Department of Archives and History
|Born:||September 21, 1877, Huntsville, AL|
|Died:||October 25, 1935, Madison County, AL|
|Buried:||Maple Hill Cemetery, Huntsville, AL|
|Son of:||Robert Coman Brickell|
• "Son of Robert Coman and Mary Blasingame (Glenn) Brickell, the former of Tuscumbia, Colbert County, Ala.; and the grandson of Richard Benjamin and Margaret Williamson (Coman) Brickell, of Athens, Ala. R.C. Brickell, Sr., was Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of Alabama 1873-1875, Chief Justice from 1875 to 1884, and again from 1894 to 1898. He was the compiler of Brickell's Digest of Alabama in three volumes. Both paternal ancestors came to Alabama from N.C., and are of Irish descent; his ancestors on his mother's side were from Ga." - Alabama State Archives
• "Judge Brickell was educated in the private schools of Huntsville and Montgomery, the University of Alabama, 1893-94, and the University of Virginia, where he studied law for one term, 1899. He later read law under his father." - Alabama Biography
• "He was presidential elector for the 8th congressional district, in 1908, and attorney general of Alabama, 1911-1915. On January 9, 1915, he was commissioned to succeed Hon. D. W. Speake, as judge of the 8th judicial circuit, and elected for a full term of six years, November 7, 1916." - Alabama Biography
• He was an Episcopalian; a Democrat; a Mason; a Knight of Pythias, and an Elk - Alabama Biography
• Residence: Huntsville
• He was unmarried - Alabama Biography
• Alabama Biography - History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, Volume 3, by Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen, © 1921, pp 214-5.
• Alabama State Archives - Photo and bio
• Find A Grave - Photo of gravesite (Created by "B" April 24, 2011)
The Following Pages Link to this Page:
• Robert Coman Brickell