Martha Lee Patton Darwin
|Born:||December 13, 1876, Madison County, AL|
|Died:||September 15, 1966, Madison County|
|Buried:||Maple Hill Cemetery, Huntsville, AL|
The Following Pages Link to this Page:
• "Married May 22, 1902, at Christ Episcopal Church in Nashville, TN, to James Lanier Darwin, a beloved medical doctor in Huntsville." - Alabama Biography
• "Martha Lee Patton, 'Mattie' (1876-1966), daughter of Oliver Beirne and Bettie (White) Patton of Huntsville; granddaughter of Dr. Charles H. and Susan (Beirne) Patton and of Gen. Addison and Sarah (Irvine) White, the latter a granddaughter of Dr. Ephraim McDowell of Kentucky, whose wife was a daughter of Gov. Isaac and Suanna (Hart) Shelby, of that state." - Alabama Biography
• "The groundwork for a local historical group had been established years earlier when Mrs. Mattie Patton Darwin, one of Huntsville's earliest librarians, started a historical collection at the Carnegie Library." - Huntsville Historical Review
• Mrs. Mattie Patton Darwin "was noted for her portrait painting and the many interesting antiques in her collection." - Medicine Bags and Bumpy Roads
• Mother of: 1. Martha (born 1903); 2. Mary Beirne; 3. James Lanier, Jr. (1913 - 1957) - Alabama Biography
• Alabama Biography - History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, Volume 3, by Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead, © 1921, p. 455.
• Find A Grave - Page created by Natalie Maynor, Oct 21. 2005
• Huntsville Historical Review - Huntsville Historical Review: "The Huntsville - Madison County Historical Society: The First 50 Years," by Jones, J.R., Jr., from Volume 28, #1, Summer-Fall 2002, page 7.
• Medicine Bags and Bumpy Roads - Medicine Bags and Bumpy Roads, by Jewell Shelton Goldsmith and Helen Davis Fulton, © 1985, p.185-6
• Dr. James Lanier Darwin
• James Lanier Darwin, III