Painting by Archibald M. Willard
|Born:||Before 1756, Virginia|
|Died:||March 30, 1833, Madison County, AL|
|Buried:||Donaldson Cemetery, Hazel Green, AL|
• The Democrat, Huntsville, April 11, 1833, contains the following obituary:
"Suddenly at his residence in this county, on the 30th of March, Mr. John Amoint (sic), in the Eighty-second year of his age - thus another revolutionary spirit has sunk into its rest - Rarely are we called to record the death of a more virtuous man. He has been a citizen of this county upwards of twenty years. In the domestic circle, he was a kind and tender father, and affectionate companion, a social and obliging neighbor, much beloved by numerous friends, and enemies he had none. In youth, he boldly met the foe and nobly defended the cause of liberty?few have ever so well prepared for their last great change - he settled his earthly concerns - ate a hearty supper - called his family around him -addressed the throne of grace - lay down in perfect composure - fell asleep in the arms of his Saviour, and awoke in the Paradise of his God. Thus died Mr. Amonit, without a groan, and left a wife, four children and numerous friends to mourn their loss, which is his infinite gain, and he now reaps the just reward of his labors." - Alabama Biography
• Soldier of the American Revolution
• Pension information with dates of enrollment - Alabama Biography
• This name is variously spelled as will be noted. It is also found as Amonet, Ammonet, Amonnet, Amonnette, Ominett, Ominet. - Alabama Biography
• Revolutionary War: 10th Virginia Regiment
• Revolutionary War: Private Virginia Continental Line - Patriot Database
• Alabama Biography - History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, Volume 3 by Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen, © 1921, p.36.
• Find A Grave - Donaldson Cemetery Hazel Green, Madison County AL (Created by Jason Presley and posted March 10, 2006)
• Patriot Database - Alabama's Revolutionary War Soldiers and Patriots Database on the Resources tab of the Alabama Society of the Sons of the American Revolution website.
• Sons of the American Revolution - Tennessee Valley Chapter Alabama Society of Sons of the American Revolution: Photo of his grave site