Buyer, Ladies Apparel, NYC
|Born:||July 7, 1886, Huntsville, Alabama|
|Died:||January 5, 1946, New York, New York|
|Buried:||Maple Hill Cemetery, Huntsville, Alabama|
The Following Pages Link to this Page:
• Husband of Mary O. Fickling (1888-1977) They were married May 22, 1948 in Madison County, Alabama. She is buried beside Jeff but her last name became Faber before she died. - 1940 Census
• The Census form lists him as Buyer, Ladies Apparel, Working on own account In New York City. He is found on the NYC Census as early as 1920 and appears to be on the Bristol, VA census in 1910. He is on the Huntsville, AL census in 1900. - 1940 Census
• Haagen says of Thomas W. White's home at 612 Eustis Avenue SE: "By process of filial descent, the home passed into the hands of White's children and grandchildren. In 1930, it was acquired by Mr. Jeff Dement Fickling, a grandson of Thomas White, and ownership remains to this day with his widow, Mrs. J. F. Faber." (Publication date of the Haagen book was 1963, ownership has pasted on since then.) - Haagen
• Jeff D. Fickling Passes Suddenly
Heart Attack At Hotel In New York Saturday Morning Proves Fatal
"Jeff Dement Fickling of Huntsville, 59, died early yesterday morning at the Vanderbilt Hotel in New York City, after a heart attack.
Funeral services, to be held in Huntsville, will be arranged tomorrow, probably to take place Tuesday.
Mr. Fickling is survived by his wife, Mrs. Mary Otey Fickling, who was at their home here when he died; two sisters, Mrs. J. Mack Thomas of Bristol, Va., and Mrs. J. F. Faber of Abbeville, La.; three nephews. J. Mack Thomas, Jr., and Frank Fickling Thomas of Bristol, and T. W. Fickling of Baltimore, Md.; and two nieces, Mrs. A. T. Jones and Miss Jane White Faber of Abbeville.
Born in Huntsville July 7, 1886, the son of the late Susie White and Frank Fickling. Mr. Fickling moved to New York in 1913 and founded the present firm of Fickling and Fickling, resident buyers. In 1940, he returned with his wife to Huntsville, where they established their home in the White family residence on Eustis Street, Mr. Fickling maintaining his business in New York.
He spent the recent Christmas holidays here, leaving early New Year's Day for New York. He was reported to have been apparently in good health Friday the heart seizure occurring at about midnight.
Arriving today and tomorrow for the funeral will be Mrs. Guy Laughon and Frank Otey, sister and brother of Mrs. Fickling, and Mrs. O. M. Johnson, all of Wytheville, Va.: Mr. and Mrs. A. R. King of Bristol; Mr. and Mrs. J. F. Faber of Abbeville, Mrs. Mack Thomas of Bristol, and Miss Laura Sweet of New York." - The Huntsville Times, 1
• Fickling Funeral To Be Tomorrow
Funeral services for Jeff Dement Fickling who died early Saturday morning at a hotel in New York City, will be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow from the Fickling home on Eustis street.
The Rev. Randolph Claiborne will conduct the rites. Laughlin-Service will be in charge of arrangements, with burial in Maple Hill cemetery.
Mr. Fickling's body arrived at 1:05 today on the train from New York. Pallbearers will be A. W. White, Jr., James M. White, Lawson White. Jr., J. Mack Thomas. Jr., William G. Henson, W. W. Hicks, Milton Lanier, Jr, and Reese T. - The Huntsville Times, 2
• The Baptismal Font Cover at Church of the Nativity (Episcopal) was contributed in memory of Jeff Dement Ficklling. His name is also on of list for memorial contributions to Ridley Hall Auditorium. - Roberts
• 1940 Census - The Census information can be viewed here only with a paid Ancestry.com subscription.
• Find A Grave - Page Maintained my Gene Hill, originally created by Bobbie Christian
• Haagen - The Pictorial History of Huntsville, 1805-1865 by Victor B. Haagen, 1963. (Includes Photos and captions of his home in Huntsville, a house owned earlier by his grandfather Thomas White)
• Roberts - Sesquicentennial History of Church of the Nativity, Episcopal 1843-1993 Huntsville, Alabama by Francis C. Roberts, 1992.
• The Huntsville Times, 1 - The Huntsville Times Obituary Saturday, January 5, 1946
• The Huntsville Times, 2 - The Huntsville Times Obituary Monday, January 7, 1946
• 612 Eustis Avenue SE
• Francis Fickling
• Susan Wells White Fickling