Person:Henry Clay Bradford (b1829)
Henry Clay Bradford (b1829)
|Born:||July 27, 1829, Huntsville, AL|
|Died:||April 3, 1879, Scottsboro, AL|
|Son of:||General Daniel Morgan Bradford|
• Son of Daniel Morgan and Mary Booker (Lamkin) Bradford; grandson of William and Catherine (Morgan) Bradford and of Col. Griffin and Elizabeth Lamkin of Fauquier County, Va.; great-grandson of Joseph Bennett Bradford. - Alabama Biography
• "Col. Bradford was educated in the schools of Huntsville, and at the age of eighteen enlisted for service in the Mexican War. He was first lieutenant in Co. H, and Co. D, Thirteenth regiment, U. S. infantry, and served in the battles of Monterey, Vera Cruz, Resaca de la Palma, and the City of Mexico, under command of General Zachary Taylor." - Alabama Biography
• "After the Mexican War, he attended law school at Lebanon, Tenn., during the presidency of Judge Carothers, and was graduated as valedictorian of his class, 1850." - Alabama Biography
• "He enlisted in the C. S. Army, organizing Co. H, Fifty-fifth Alabama regiment, of which he was captain. He was promoted to colonel and served with distinction until the end of the war." - Alabama Biography
• "He practiced law in Huntsville; was elected to the State legislature; moved to Beliefontaine and practiced law there until the beginning of the War of Secession. After the Civil War he resumed his profession at Scottsboro and practiced there until his death." - Alabama Biography
• He was known as the "silver-tongued orator of North Alabama." - Alabama Biography
• Married: "October 19, 1854, at 'Oakwood,' near Huntsville, Annie Watkins, daughter of William and Harriet (Anderson) Watkins of Huntsville; granddaughter of William and Susan Watkins of Georgia and of John and Mary Anderson who lived near Baltimore, Md., before moving to Alabama, the latter a descendant of John, brother of Sir William Wallace of Scotland. The Watkins family is descended from one of three Welsh brothers who settled in the Chickahominy Valley, Va." - Alabama Biography
• Alabama Biography - History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, Volume 3, by Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen, © 1921, p. 196.
• Ancestry.com - Page owned by virg61 and can be viewed only with an Ancestry.com paid membership.
The Following Pages Link to this Page:
• General Daniel Morgan Bradford