Person:Georgia Lyon Dunn
Georgia Lyon Dunn
Photo from Alabama Archaelogy
|Born:||July 28, 1906, Owens Cross Roads, AL|
|Died:||September 29, 2007|
• Postmaster, Homemaker, Civic and Religious Leader, Club Worker, Notary Public, Lacey's Spring Notable.
• "For a period of eight years, Mrs. Dunn taught in Alabama public schools (Madison and Morgan counties). Since 1935 when she received the appointment of Postmaster at Lacey's Spring, Alabama, she has served in that capacity for 37 years. Active in many forms of civic enterprise, she served for four years as a member of the Board of Morgan County Chapter, American Red Cross. For two years, she was a Trustee of the local elementary school. She was Chairman of Morgan County Farm Bureau for Home Demonstration, and was local president of the Home Demonstration Club. Mrs. Dunn holds membership in the Daughters of the American Revolution, Twickenham Chapter, Huntsville, Alabama. She presently holds the office of Secretary - Treasurer of Madison County Chapter, Alabama Archaeology Society, and has been 4th Regional Vice President of Alabama Chapter of N. A. P. U. S. Since 1946, Mrs. Dunn has held the title of Notary Public. Active in the Bethlehem Baptist Church, she served as Clerk-Treasurer, 1946 to 1957; president of Women's Missionary Union of the local Church; teacher of adult ladies' class, 1958, and is now acting as Treasurer. Art work and collecting Indian artifacts are Mrs. Dunn's hobbies." This was published in 1961. Forty six years before her death and her accomplishments after 1961 are not noted here." - Grove
• "Mrs. Dunn had published two books 'A History of Bethlehem Baptist Church' and 'Early Man and Artifacts of The Tennessee Valley'. " - Alabama Archaeology
New Hope elementary and high school
Florence State Teachers College (now UNA)
University of Alabama Center at Huntsville. - Grove
• Daughter of George William Lyon and Harriet C. (Maples) Lyon. "Mrs. Dunn is a direct descendant of Col. Matthew Lyon who married Ethan Allen's niece, and who helped to organize the 'Green Mountain Boys of Revolutionary War fame." - Grove
• Married : February 5, 1927 to Eugene W. Dunn (Lacey's Spring, Alabama) - Grove
• Mother of Betty Jo (Dunn) Soule - Alabama Archaeology
• Alabama Archaeology - Article by Van King titled "Some of My Remembrances of Georgia Lyon Dunn" In Stones & Bones, Vol. 49 Issue 4, Sep/Oct/Nov/Dec 2007 Page 12-3 (with photos).
• Grove - Library of Alabama Lives by Frank L. Grove, © 1961, p. 158.
• Lacey's Spring News - Article by Sue Stidger about Georgia Lyon Dunn's vision for a senior center in Lacey's Spring from Lacey's Spring News.