"Alabama artist Frank Fleming's sculpture Along for the Ride is seen in Aldridge Gardens in Hoover, Alabama." Photograph by Tar Guevara (Encyclopedia of Alabama)
Birmingham Alabama Daily Photo
|Born:||June 17, 1940, Bear Creek, AL|
|Art:||403 Echols Avenue SE||- Home of a fountain by Frank Fleming|
• "Frank Fleming is internationally known for his fanciful sculptures in ceramic and bronze, which combine realistic treatments of animals and plants with mystical and imagined figures, often in fantastical groupings and arrangements." - Encyclopedia of Alabama
• First came to Huntsville in 1963 to work with Boeing in the engineering drafting department for the Saturn V rocket program. He held that job until 1969 when he left to pursue his art career. Since then he has lived several places (returned to Huntsville twice) and is currently living in Birmingham. - Encyclopedia of Alabama
• "In 2000, Alabama Public Television produced and aired a documentary on Fleming's life and work, Animal, Vegetable, Mineral: The Art of Frank Fleming." - Encyclopedia of Alabama
• "In addition to the above homes and buildings, the Historic Homes tour includes the Garden at Poplar Grove located at 403 Echols Avenue, the former home of Leroy Pope. The current owners, Mr. and Mrs. Danny Wiginton, have beautifully restored the formal garden with azaleas, roses, herbs, and old-fashioned perennials. A whimsical bronze 'dancing turtles' fountain created exclusively for the garden by renowned Alabama artist, Frank Fleming, overlooks the stone terrace. The formal gardens were designed by Bill Nance, a local artist, teacher and garden designer." - About.com
• About.com - Historic Home Tour 2002 garden features a fountain by Frank Fleming.
• BhamOnline.com - Article about "The Storyteller", a piece of art in Birmingham's Five Points.
• Birmingham Alabama Daily Photo - Birmingham Alabama Daily Photo, Five blog photos, one from his own garden.
• Encyclopedia of Alabama - Bio
• Flickr - Flickr: Lion Lion
• Flickr - Possible photos of his work
• Frank Fleming Art.com - Official Website
• Google Images - Possible photos of his work
The Following Pages Link to this Page:
• 403 Echols Avenue SE