Navigating the Huntsville History Collection
- Most of the things you will want to do are accessed from the this page, the banner at the top of any page or the Navigation menu just below the logo in the upper left corner.
- The key starting points are People, Places, Maps, Resources, or one of the specific collection links available on this page.
- If you get lost, just click the logo in the upper left quarter. That will take you back to the Main Page.
- In order to comment on, edit or write articles, you must be registered and logged in. (See Log in / create an account.)
- You can comment on any of the articles by clicking the discussion tab at the top of that article.
- You can start or edit a story related to a specific person or place by clicking on the Related Story link in the banner at the top of the page for that person or place.
- You can start a new story by typing the title in the Search box (to the left), clicking the Go button and then writing the article in the space provided. Be sure to click the Save Page button (bottom) before navigating away from the page.
- You can use the Upload file in the toolbox to the left to upload images to be included in articles that you write.
- Help, in the form of answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) is available via the Help link in the navigation menu.
- If you find a technical or accuracy problem, you can report it via the Request Fix link in the banner at the top of the page.
- You can communicate with the webmaster via the Email Us, Submit Info and Request Fix links.
A Brief Glimpse Under the Hood
- The core system is based on Mediawiki, the same application that is used for Wikipedia. That means that anyone who registers can write and edit articles, although some of the pages have been restricted to preserve the integrity of previously published works or for other reasons. The people and places sections have been modified to be driven directly from the database as lists of information and are also restricted.
- You must register and login before you are allowed to edit articles or make comments.